FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Use our compare product feature for our 'at a glance' summary chart of our products.
In simple summary there are three types of loft ladders.
1. Sliding Loft Ladders - very easy to use but require space in loft for ladder to slide into when not in use. Available in metal or timber.
2. Folding Loft Ladders - fold up into sections on top of each other freeing up more storage space in your loft. Available in timber.
3. Concertina Loft Ladders - these metal ladders use scissor action folding and when not in use sit within the length of the hatch. Useful for small openings where space is very limited.
Use our product selector facility if you need more help in choosing.
This is a matter of personal choice. Metal ladders can be more noisy in use. Many people prefer the feel and appearance of wood. Simply put - it's up to you!
There are three simple steps to success:
1. Measure your existing loft opening if you have one
2. Use our product selector for help in choosing the right loft ladder
3. Carefully check that all your measurements comply with the detailed product information . We suggest you use our compare product facility and also print the pdf file for your chosen product to ensure you take all necessary measurements.
If you still need a helping hand then please use our Ask The Boss live email support available 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.
Our loft ladders are suitable for use as access to a loft for light storage purposes.
An inhabitable room however will need a permanent access solution and we recommend seeking professional help before proceeding.
A number of our loft ladders feature handrails either as standard or as an optional extra . Look at our compare product feature to see which ones.
Don't forget to use our product selector facility to check your chosen loft ladder will be suitable for your situation.
The simple answer is no - as long as the loft hatch opens downwards and the loft opening is large enough to fit a loft ladder (see our compare product feature and product selector facility).
If your loft hatch opens upwards - the simple solution is to rehang the door to open downwards or to form a new door from plywood or mdf.
We recommend seeking professional help before buying or fitting a new loft hatch, as this often involves additional building works and alterations which may well be structural. It's not simple - so check with a professional first .
Fitting your new loft ladder is simple - all hinges/catches etc are included together with full fitting instructions. All you need are normal household tools , and a willing helper. If you can put together flat pack furniture - you should have no problems.
All our prices include delivery throughout mainland UK (excluding islands and the north of Scotland). So for most of our customers the answer is 'simply nothing'. For those of you lucky enough to live in the north of Scotland, on the UK islands or outside the UK please contact us for a delivery cost.
We aim to deliver within 7 working days . Please read our delivery terms and conditions for more details about the delivery process.
If there is any problem with this delivery time we will contact you as soon as possible to advise of the delay and will always in these rare circumstances give you the option to immediately cancel your order with of course a full refund.
Please call us before 10.30am on the day before you need delivery, and we will do our best to help you. Please be aware there may be an additional charge for this service. Please also read our delivery terms and conditions.
Please read our delivery terms and conditions before proceeding to the checkout, so that we will be able to help you if a problem does arise.
All our prices include VAT at the current UK rate of 20%